HAB Products & Services at Beagle Bioproducts
Are you wondering if that green stuff in your pond is dangerous? Beagle can help you find out! Beagle Bioproducts is now providing testing services to the general public for a wide variety of cyanobacteria and toxins associated with harmful algal blooms (HABs). We know that HABs are serious business and if you have one, you need to know as soon as possible. Beagle has a four step plan of action that can help you make good, fast decisions about your water: Monitor, Identify, Test & Manage.
- Monitor with a Fluorometer
- Beagle recommends routine monitoring with a fluorometer when supplemented with other tools like a secchi disc, sediment stick or turbidity measurements, trend suggestive of a pending bloom may be recognized. This instrument measures phycocyanin, the pigment that puts the ‘blue’ in blue-green algae, as well as chlorophyll. Rising pigment levels can help you identify when additional testing is needed; or better yet, baseline pigment levels can tell you when you don’t need to spend additional money on further testing. Look for fluorometers on Beagle’s website!
- Identify the Type of Algae
- If you suspect you have a developing bloom, Beagle is now offering algal identification, which can help you determine whether the growing algae presents a toxic risk or not. Not all cyanobacteria produce toxins, and if your algae can’t produce toxin, then why pay for a toxin test? Check out our Monitoring Products!
- Beagle’s Toxin Testing Services
- Finally, if you suspect you have a developing bloom of a potentially toxic algae, Beagle can test your sample for a wide variety of toxins associated with HABs. The toxin we test for will be determined by either the type of algae in your sample, or history of your site or area. Beagle can provide you with toxin test results within 2 days of receipt of your sample. Of course, toxin testing can be done without monitoring or identification of algae, and sometimes that will make the most sense. Let us know if you need help with that decision!
- Management of a HAB
- Not all HABs have toxic algae—sometimes the “harmful” part is an overgrowth of aquatic plants and weeds that choke out healthy growth in your pond or lake. In either case, Beagle recognizes that people need a way to manage many types of HABs. There are limited options out there for this purpose, and we believe that we have identified the best. Read more about Beagle’s Toxin Testing Services!
- Management of a HAB
To place an order please call Beagle at (614) 682-6588 or send us a purchase order to email@example.com.